Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsOther - News & Events · 2 years ago

If you're afraid to debate those you disagree with like Nicola Sturgeon has with Steve Bannon, have you automatically lost the argument?

Nicola Sturgeon quits BBC event over Steve Bannon invitation

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/20/n...

10 Answers

Relevance
  • snafu
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favourite answer

I’m not a fan of Sturgeon, but I’m an even less a fan of Bannon. As obnoxious as Bannon is, she is somewhat leaving the forum open for him. It could’ve been an opportunity to really take him to task. Although I can see why she wouldn’t want to endorse or legitimise Bannon in any way by giving him the time of day. Is it misjudged, I’m not sure? There are two ways of looking at it. If we’re in the midst of an era of the battle of ideas and ideology then what is gained by not engaging? But then again not giving him the oxygen of publicity potentially nullifies him, silence can speak volumes. When Alex Jones came over and tried to sell his brand of shtick, he just come over as a loud, angry, shouty turd. Sometimes you got to shine a light on something to see how ugly it truly is.

• 2 years ago

No great loss to the program. Frankly, she is not very pretty. The BBC could get any number of fresh faced young ladies in public life to attend their talk show instead.

• Jack H
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

There was never going to be a debate, she was not going to legitimise an alt right clown who is now flogging his brand of racist shytte in Britain after Trump sacked him. I suspect if she did debate him Stevie boy would lose, big time, he has admitted in the past that he simply makes up *facts* when it suits him...

• gerald
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

no who elected Steve Bannon to speak for me or anybody who elects the media to appear on these debates who the Fu** are these people backed by rich ar*holes trying to affect all our lives Ollie hardy helping may UNNELECTED the Sun Daily Mail all of them unelected crap shoved down our throat by billionaire owners what is the matter with this place

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

It was never planned the two would be involved in a debate at the event. Defeating Bannon, even if he wasn't pissed on scotch, would have been easy for Sturgeon anyway.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Ms sturgeon would have been made to look more embarrassed/embarrassing than she already is.

• 2 years ago

no

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

I suspect Ms. Sturgeon realises how 'helpful' Mr. Bannon has been in making the Western world as populist (continuing to champion rightwing political causes), and despite Trump getting rid - guess they still find people 'li'l girls' like Nicola waiting to be whupped by macho 'good ol' boys' like themselves fine 'n' dandy.

Do you think this former Breitbart News chief, after leaving the White House has 'grown up', and decided not to to ignite his brand of nationalism in the rest of the world. I don't blame her for not wanting to be embarrassed by this overweight bully. What...more elite religious fanatics with a white ’race’ obsession poisoning the rest of the Western world? No thanks.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Yes she comes across as a delicate little flower that cannot deal with opposing views and its a tragedy for free speech, if Steve Bannon is a such a terrible figure spouting awful views it should be easy for someone as educated as Sturgeon to step up and defeat him.

Here is a liberal comedian and political analyst going toe to toe with the Steve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egVlN-kBjZg

Youtube thumbnail

• Biff
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Try actually reading the report and you will see "The two had been scheduled to appear at the conference on different days." She wasn't going to be debating with Steve Bannon at all. Her reason for pulling out of the conference was she did not wish to be part of any process "that risks legitimising or normalising far-right, racist views" by having Bannon as a speaker.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.