Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 year ago

If we Americans are not from England. Then why do we speak English?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

You must have heard of the Pilgrim Fathers. They came from Boston, Lincolnshire in England. They were the first white migrant settlers on US soil.

English is of Germanic origin, because of Anglo-Saxon settlers colonizing it in the 5th century. Before then it can be traced back to Sanskrit, which is a dead ancient Indian tongue. Language is transient and constantly evolving.

• 1 year ago

We Americans speak "American" English not British English. Ask any Brit and they will tell you that we "don't even speak proper English."

• Harman1 year agoReport

We are unique and independent OF any other peoples. While the British, and the rest of the world for that matter, drive on the incorrect (or left) side, we choose to be different. Just like weights and measurements standards, we choose to go against the grain of voluntary dictates of the kilo.

• 1 year ago

We speak American, which strongly resembles English, the land of origin for the most influential colonists. A few miles north of me, on the Navajo reservation, it is common to meet people who do not speak American at all.

"Indeed, in many respects, she was quite English, and was an excellent example of the fact that we have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language." - Oscar Wilde, "The Canterville Ghost"

• FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Throughout the Old World the USA is simply known as America. In Mexico we are the EE UU.
      The American vocabulary was originally formalized by Noah Webster. Some people still consider it an English dialect but we are rapidly drifting further apart.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

the Traitor Washington took the USA there was a Vote German or English English I believe won by one Vote

50,000 British convicts sent to Georgia says you are British based

• linda1 year agoReport

If you mean me (Linda Legion), you are correct. I am from the UK.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

We brought it with us from England when we first arrived. It served us well, so there was no need to invent another language.

The leaders of the early settlements who developed our government continued to speak English, for the most part, and so our official language became English. Later settlers wanted to assimilate, and so it made their lives easier to speak the official language

(By the way, American natives, as well as many American settlers, at first, did NOT speak English.)

• Harman1 year agoReport

English is the common language of the slaves. It is much easier to know what people (no matter their color or race) are speaking if they lose their mother tongue and adopt the common language. Think about it from the perspective of big brother.

• 1 year ago

For the same reasons people in S. America and Mexico speak Spanish...

• FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Addendum: the story I heard is that the reason Portuguese is the base language in Brazil and Spanish throughout the rest of central and South America was a papal decree to settle ownership claims by Spain and Portugal.

• 1 year ago

Because the overwhelming majority of the people who originally settled here were from England and that is the only language the spoke.

• humpty
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The first colonists spoke English. My many times great grandfather George Calvert, Earl of Baltimore, is a prime example. Later arrivals learned English as the majority language just as later waves of immigrants will no doubt continue to do.

• 1 year ago

all the signs are printed in English....

• 1 year ago

Out of convention. The first settlers spoke English, and it just sort of stuck.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.