I was filling out an application for a store near where i live and a question on the application shocked me?

so this was my first time i had ever filled out the application and i was answering the questions to the best of my abilities. some of the required questions made me think why do they need to know that? Then one of the required questions asked me weather or not someone in my family has committed a crime in the last... show more so this was my first time i had ever filled out the application and i was answering the questions to the best of my abilities. some of the required questions made me think why do they need to know that? Then one of the required questions asked me weather or not someone in my family has committed a crime in the last year? The answer was yes. my father had broken his probation. But my problem is why are they asking this? My father is not the one filling out the application but me. Why does it matter if he has broken the law when he is not the one trying to get the job? Are they even allowed to ask this question?I don't want to lie on the application but will i not get the job if i tell them my someone in my family has committed a crime in the last year? I have never broken the law before and that question is really irritating me.
Update: Sorry my question was why are they asking me this.