Why do so many job applications want your social security number? Is there any way to bypass this when filling out an online application?

I’ve never had a job before and my parents are greatly demanding that I get one. But my dad explicitly told me that he does not want me giving them my SSN on the applications. I’ve been looking for jobs on indeed.com, but the listings don’t indicate out front whether or not an application requires your SSN, so I’ve... show more I’ve never had a job before and my parents are greatly demanding that I get one. But my dad explicitly told me that he does not want me giving them my SSN on the applications. I’ve been looking for jobs on indeed.com, but the listings don’t indicate out front whether or not an application requires your SSN, so I’ve filled out quite a few, only to end up having to hit cancel and wasting my time.

I’ve found one job I would really like to apply for, but it requires a SSN. Is there any way I can bypass this on the online application?
13 answers 13