Can one take cooking from scratch too far?

Yesterday I invited my nephew over for dinner and I recommended an apple pie and custard for pudding, he made the pie at home and brought it down with him. We both wanted custard with the pie and he suggested he make it from scratch, I said "I prefer tinned custard, I have never eaten homemade" and he... show more Yesterday I invited my nephew over for dinner and I recommended an apple pie and custard for pudding, he made the pie at home and brought it down with him.

We both wanted custard with the pie and he suggested he make it from scratch, I said "I prefer tinned custard, I have never eaten homemade" and he said he will show me how, at first I said no because I am tired and want an easy life to just open a tin and heat up the custard in the microwave.

He insisted it was easy to make so I allowed it.

Well he fiddled on with vanilla pods, cornflour, milk, beaten eggs and sugar and in the end I wanted tinned custard and it was too much hard work and my boyfriend/life partner refused to eat it and said he wanted tinned custard too. I had some and I told my nephew that processed foods taste better than homemade.

I could have easily got a ready made pie and a tin of custard but he had to make it from scratch and follow the recipe exactly as it was stated.

Is he suffering from paranoia to be avoiding ready made foods?