MUST HAVES for a new born:
(1) A crib and mattress
(2) Sheets & blankets for the crib
(3) Diaper shirts to dress the baby in
(4) Sleep sacks for the baby to sleep in
(5) Diapers, diapers, and more diapers (Disposable or cloth - your choice. Cloth diapers are more economical, in the long run).
(6) Nursing bottles, nipples, and a few cans of formula (even if you plan to breastfeed)
(7) Baby powder, baby lotion, and baby soap
(8) A car seat for the car (to secure the baby)
(9) A stroller (only necessary for a new born if you plan on taking the baby with you on long excursions). It could wait until the baby is older.
You don't need a baby monitor; a baby bathtub; baby-size washcloths; a changing table; or booties. Other things such as a bouncy chair, a play pen, a high chair, toys, stuffed animals, etc., can wait until the baby is months older.