can you substitute canola oil for vegetable oil when bakeing?

It certainly is a vegetable oil. I use soy oil, peanut oil and olive oil. Separately.

Yes.

Yes. The only concern one should have is cooking temp and aftertaste. Some oils smoke easily and some leave a flavor behind.

• kswck2

Any neutral oil is fine and interchangeable. It only really matters if you are using oils like avocado, olive or some type of oil that may leave a taste behind.

I only use canola oil for everything. Never a problem.

you probably could

• Clive
      2 years agoReport

So you don't KNOW.

• Clive

Canola oil is just made from one specific vegetable, canola. That's all. In fact when I buy "vegetable oil" and look at the ingredients, that IS the one and only ingredient! So go ahead, use it. It doesn't taste of anything so it won't make whatever you're baking taste wrong. The one thing NOT to use is olive oil as that has a definite peppery taste. Definitely only use that in a cake if the recipe says so.

Just out of interest, because I'm in the UK, it doesn't say canola on the bottle, it says rapeseed. No doubt your country got squeamish about the "rape" in it, though it has nothing to do with the sex crime, it comes from the Latin "rapa" which means turnip. The oilseed rape plant is related to turnips (swede, rutabaga, whatever you call them). Fields of it in summer are easy to identify because it has bright yellow flowers - I've seen them. The seeds have a lot of oil in them so that's why it's grown, to press oil out of the seeds. And it happens to be the cheapest in the UK so no wonder that's what I get in a bottle of "vegetable oil".

Yes. Canola oil IS a type of vegetable oil.

Yes, in fact I found in makes some of my cakes taste better!!!

Sure, most oils and fats are interchangeable. Maybe a subtle change in flavor, but that's about it.