promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

can you substitute canola oil for vegetable oil when bakeing?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

It certainly is a vegetable oil. I use soy oil, peanut oil and olive oil. Separately.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 years ago

Yes.

• 2 years ago

Yes. The only concern one should have is cooking temp and aftertaste. Some oils smoke easily and some leave a flavor behind.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Any neutral oil is fine and interchangeable. It only really matters if you are using oils like avocado, olive or some type of oil that may leave a taste behind.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I only use canola oil for everything. Never a problem.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

you probably could

• Clive
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

So you don't KNOW.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Canola oil is just made from one specific vegetable, canola. That's all. In fact when I buy "vegetable oil" and look at the ingredients, that IS the one and only ingredient! So go ahead, use it. It doesn't taste of anything so it won't make whatever you're baking taste wrong. The one thing NOT to use is olive oil as that has a definite peppery taste. Definitely only use that in a cake if the recipe says so.

Just out of interest, because I'm in the UK, it doesn't say canola on the bottle, it says rapeseed. No doubt your country got squeamish about the "rape" in it, though it has nothing to do with the sex crime, it comes from the Latin "rapa" which means turnip. The oilseed rape plant is related to turnips (swede, rutabaga, whatever you call them). Fields of it in summer are easy to identify because it has bright yellow flowers - I've seen them. The seeds have a lot of oil in them so that's why it's grown, to press oil out of the seeds. And it happens to be the cheapest in the UK so no wonder that's what I get in a bottle of "vegetable oil".

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Yes. Canola oil IS a type of vegetable oil.

• 2 years ago

Yes, in fact I found in makes some of my cakes taste better!!!

• 2 years ago

Sure, most oils and fats are interchangeable. Maybe a subtle change in flavor, but that's about it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.