Why can’t most Americans be bothered to learn big major European languages such as French, German, Dutch & Italian?

They can always use them when on business or pleasure in the EU.

Because America brilliantly built itself on the illusion of superiority, which means we can basically do whatever we want and usually get away with it.

SINCE ENGLISH IS THE INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE MAKES IT EASIER FOR AMERICANS TO TRAVEL INTERNATIONALLY BUT IT IS STILL A SHOCK THAT MOST AMERICANS ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH AND THE ONLY OTHER LANGUAGE THEY MIGHT SPEAK IS SPANISH AND THAT IS ONLY GOOD IF YOU TRAVEL TO SPAIN OR LATIN AMERICA. BUT YOU SHOULD REALIZE THAT MOST AMERICANS NEVER LEAVE THE UNITED STATES

• In Europe if you go 200 miles in any direction you are in a different country with a different language. It is a matter of necessity, especially if you are in business. On the other hand, with what, 300.000,000 American speaking English, and with untold numbers of English speakers in Canada, it really isn't a necessity. But just for fun, I speak passible tourist (ie, bad) German, Dutch and Afrikaans. Also a little Yiddish from having lived in NYC, many years ago. I also know American Sign rather fluently, and British Sign rather less so.

Too bad I didn't learn Spanish while living in NYC. I need to learn it now, just to give proper instructions to the hired help.

Because one can travel all over the USA and use the same language. Not so in Europe. Plus the majority of Americans will never go to Europe so what's the use?.

Because I've never been to France, Germany, Denmark, or Italy.

A lot of Americans speak more than one language, but it's not necessary here. I speak some Spanish and I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have more knowledge. But it takes time to learn a new language, time that could otherwise be spent working or doing more productive things that will directly affect the quality of our lives here.

Simply put, we don't need it...that doesn't make us uncultured or dumb.

We have our own culture and part of that culture is the English language. It's also a language that originated in Europe.

Yes, you can use those languages for business or when on vacation, and like I said, that's not a bad thing. Just not a necessity.

• sobriquet2 years agoReport

spanish and chinese, though

• Joseph

Europeans can be annoying, very annoying. Learning their language is a large investment in time and effort just to be annoyed.

• Joseph
      2 years agoReport

The question wasn't about employment opportunities, in which case more people who know English as a second language are more likely to gain those positions. English is the language of business, everybody know it.

• e9601:

No reason to.

it's not a requirement

No need to.