Rochelle asked in PetsDogs · 2 years ago

My two dogs can't stand to be apart from each other. How do I make them not have separation anxiety?

So I have 2 alaskan malamute brothers who have been together their entire life. They were rescued together and they have grown up together and moved together. For as long as I have had them (their whole life) they cannot bare to be apart from each other. I can't take one to the vet without the other absolutely losing his mind and whining and howling and it's really sad. They hate being away from each other and eventually one is going to die and I'm sure that the other will probably die within hours of the other just because of sadness. It's really embarrassing when I have people over and one of the dogs is gone to the vet for the day the other one is acting untrained and skittish and just sad. How can I train them to be apart from each other? I've tried taking them on separate walks like I'll have my sister take one dog one direction and I'll take one dog the other direction and because they are such big dogs they are so strong we can't pull them apart. They will drag us down to get to their brother. I feel really bad for them because it's such a burden on them to not be able to function without the other dog. And they don't really bond with me because they have each other. They don't act that way towards anyone besides the other dog. I don't know what I'm gonna do when one dies. They are 10 now. I need help.

• Jojo

This is a problem when 2 litter mates are brought up together from pups.

Two males will either fight for the highest status OR become lifelong dependent on each other, exclusively to all human owners, who should be seen as the dogs leader and mentor, but are not, due to the closeness and dependency of the two dogs on each other.

At 10 years old you are never going to change these dogs outlook and you just have to accept the situation for what it is.

Yes, there may be problems with the dog that is left if one dies before the other, but again, there is little you can do about it all.

This is one reason why it`s advised very strongly, never to buy 2 pups from the same litter and rear them together. Sorry I cannot help more.

Training/correction are your responsibility, not the dogs. Obviously you've failed to do any, and no reputable rescue would and/or any reputable breeder would allow siblings to go to the same home, at the same time, research sibling rivalry.

"they don't really bond with me because they have each other." Common result, not much anyone can do about it at this late stage, deal with the best that you can, and move on.

It's too late to change anything.

It took you 10 years to realize this is a problem?

• *****

Too little, too late. The time to worry about this was when they were puppies, not at ten years old. This is just one of the reasons that it isn't recommended to raise two same-age puppies together, especially litter mates. Attempts to separate them for any length of time at this point in their lives will cause substantial distress and they'll go straight back to being attached at the hip as soon as they're reunited.

So don’t have people over if one is at the vet. Why would you be doing this anyway? Why are these dogs at the vet for the day so often? For the day???

You can’t control your leashed dogs? This is a far bigger concern than the bonding. You need a no-pull harness or head collar and to get them leash manners training.

They are 10. Why change their bond? They are reaching end of life. Instead of spending the next two years upsetting them, just let them live. Yes, obedience training. Yes, control your dogs.

This is exactly why responsible breeders won’t sell siblings to the same owner.

Once you get them under control, you can attempt to do high value excursions one dog at a time. Maybe it’s to go get a puppucino from Starbucks. Maybe it’s to play his favorite game at the park. Something that makes the separation valuable to the dog.