promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 years ago

Can horses eat instant oatmeal?

so i feed my horse a mix of hay and a store bought grain mix but it's getting colder and i thought i could get him something nice :) can i feed him instant oatmeal or regular oatmeal since it's warm and tastes better than raw oats?

thanksssss

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favourite answer

Horses will eat a mash, but they wouldn't be real thrilled with the texture of oatmeal. You can make a warm mash with the grain you already have by adding some warm water to it. It really isn't necessary though. I do feed it in very cold weather to get extra water into them. It's not cold enough yet to warrant it.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Jeff
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

lol... too many kids and panic helicopter moms post here. ever been in Montana. feeding oat meal is a common thing when its 0 freakin degrees outside. it's a known thing to hedge the effects of hypothermia. the sugar will burn up quickly when it's that cold. some of these dumbells need to spend the winter on a working place.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No, they are horses not human-being.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

NO. Do not feed your horse cooked oatmeal. Also instant oatmeal has sugar in it which is not good for your horse.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Instant oats are refined oats with a LOT of added sugar. You like instant oats, and sugar likely, but it is BAD for you. Sugar is also bad for the horse. If you want to treat your horse in the winter, buy an Electrogroom and some fancy grooming tools and go nuts with deep grooming. Or stick to carrots is my advice. I know people like to hand feed treats to horses, but they really do not need them. You horse doesn't think you giving them treats is you being nice to them. A horse thinks another horse itching and scratching them is being social and nice to them. Learn what your horse wants rather than trying to put your own biases and likes onto the horse is my advice.

• 2 years ago

Also feed them dried rice and chocolate custard powder

• 2 years ago

Google 'hot mash for horses' to find some good warm recipes.

• 2 years ago

NO.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Sure. He will love it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.