Privacy agreements mean nothing?

I always read every word of privacy agreements. I simply do not agree to do business if the agreement does not state, "We do not share your personally identifiable information to third parties or partners without your explicit permission". Some companies are clever and do not allow me to see the... show more I always read every word of privacy agreements. I simply do not agree to do business if the agreement does not state, "We do not share your personally identifiable information to third parties or partners without your explicit permission".

Some companies are clever and do not allow me to see the agreement until after they have my name and email. Refusing to accept the agreement locks me from moving forward, or backward. The only thing I can do is close the tab. I did so a few times. They simply start sending daily emails asking me to complete the registration.

I have noted that some business feel that they have the right to interpret their agreement based on the situation, and not the words in the agreement. Credit unions are the worst.

Exactly what government agency regulates this, if any?
Update: I am moving my car loan from my credit union to my former employer (Bank of America), simply because BofA sticks to the agreement. The interest rate is higher, but I feel it is worth the extra cost to have my privacy.
Update 2: The problem I have with the credit union is the fact that they do what they want, and ignore the agreement. The agreement says that they will NOT share personally identifiable information with partners without permission, yet they hand customer name and address to various insurance companies, etc. I have... show more The problem I have with the credit union is the fact that they do what they want, and ignore the agreement. The agreement says that they will NOT share personally identifiable information with partners without permission, yet they hand customer name and address to various insurance companies, etc. I have received junk mail from several companies that specifically site the fact that they make "free offers" to members of the specific credit union.