Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 year ago

What were the 70's like?

86 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Best answer

Much more laid back. I was only a little kid in the 70's but I remember driving places with no seatbelts, adults smoking in the car and the house, sitting on my uncle's lap and him letting me steer the car, going outside with no sunscreen, having the possibility of being spanked at school, having winners and losers in competitions at school, no political correctness of any kind. Probably the biggest difference is that there was no internet, no wireless phones or devices and it forced people to actually talk face to face and interact with the world.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

ask your dad if he was born in the 70's

• 1 year ago

The game thing start after 2000

• Nick
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Much better than today.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • anand
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

The best part of my life. I was just in my twenties in the 70's.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

60’s hippies became 70’s “yuppies”, like former radical Jerry Rubin, pal of Abbie Hoffman. Compared to the social consciousness and communal attitude of the 60s, everything became oriented towards the individual and materialism and “getting ahead”. A new magazine came out which was very popular. It’s name?.....”SELF”....that kind of sums up the 70s.

• Karen1 year agoReport

Everything was different. You think that it was all about hippies and drugs. that was all a cover up for the rise of CD ROMs. It seems harmless now. But originally it was invented to the useage of a cult like society that wanted to store information on a more reliable source than the cassette tape.

• 1 year ago

No internet, NO Cell phones. Less a illegal problem, Less BS in politics, Less BLACK LIVES MATTER AND NO ONE ELSE DOES Crap, LESS YOU HAVE to be politically right BS...

More people getting more exercise because less to no video games, people actually went outside camping, to parks playing etc.

No Jerry Springer, Oprah Talk shows messing with people heads and trying to tell them how and what they have to think.

There was not 500 channels on TV and you were not forced to pay for 200 channels to just get the 15 that you actually do watch at times.

WE ACTUALLY HAD MUSCLE cars which were affordable and were made in the UNITED STATES and not so flooded with foreign imports...

More Americans Had Jobs..

• ANDREW1 year agoReport

Less Jewish influence and less muslims and Africans in white mans countries.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

It was a simpler time, a time when people weren't in such a hurry, a time when I was still a kid and could have fun with the greatest friends ever, Ron, Greg, Dave, and Larry. I miss those guys, and those days.

No internet

No cell phones

No cable TV

Vinyl and cassette tapes were plenty; even 8-track tapes

• sirjester099
      Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

You apparently weren't around in the 70s because if you were you would have known that cable tv has been a staple in many homes for most of the 70s

• Joseph
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Fun, and no cry baby Momma's boys getting 'triggered' all the time. Sex was easy ( no condoms needed ) the drinking age was 18 and nobody got offended just because they were attention seeking opportunists.

• 1 year ago

Better than now. Safer. That’s my issue always.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

No internet or cell phones. When you made plans, you had to agree on when and where to meet ahead of time. No last-minute texting. If someone didn't show up, you'd have to find a pay phone and make a call and ask someone where they were. Not many people had answering machines until the late 70s at the earliest, too. No PCs or desktop printers either - if you needed copies of documents you had to call or write (a "letter") the bank, city clerk or hospital or whoever and request a copy. It took weeks to do what you can do in literally 2 minutes now. Banking/credit cards were not online - you'd have to wait for your bill and pay it every month with a check, and manually go through your credit card bills to see if they'd made a mistake. Monthly household bills were also paid by check, none of this automatic monthly account deduction stuff. If the utility company lost your payment, or it got lost by the Post Office, it was a big hassle.

No online ordering, either! Just imagine. Instead, big companies would put out catalogs of all their items and you'd look through it to find out what you wanted. There was a big complicated order form inside the catalog that you'd have to fill out with the items you wanted, then write another check, and mail off your order. Sometimes you'd get what you ordered, but there was no way to see if a popular item was in stock (you probably could call the company to check, but that was complicated). In some cases it took close to 2 months for your items to arrive. You would have to start placing your Christmas orders in September to make sure you got everything on time.

TV was actually better in my opinion - before the cable era in the early 1980s there were loads and loads of "free" independent channels, some of which had their own unique commentary/news/education shows. Some UHF channels would show classic movies at night, they would only broadcast for a few hours each day but you could see Casablanca or something like that at home for free. Some of the bigger local independent stations had a special daily TV program for kids filmed and broadcast right in their own studio. You could write the station a letter and they'd send you a letter back and let you know when you could come down and be in the audience. Just imagine something like that existing today!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.