Did I Do the Right Thing?

I'm a manager in training at a big box store. A customer yelled at me about two shirts that were sold separately, because it was on the wrong rack and she thought they came together. Then she said, "I don't know why you can't just give me the other shirt, it's only $8". I caved and said... show more I'm a manager in training at a big box store.

A customer yelled at me about two shirts that were sold separately, because it was on the wrong rack and she thought they came together.

Then she said, "I don't know why you can't just give me the other shirt, it's only $8". I caved and said sorry and gave her the shirt for free.

The problem is we're not supposed to do this and I felt like I acted like a pushover.

Also, giving her the shirt for free brought her purchase down to $42 from $50 and I forgot to tell her you get a gift card if you spend $50...