What would you do if you landlord refused to make repairs?

My landlord is really nice. However, they just don't follow our contractual agreement. My apartment has no fire alarm, or carbon monoxide dector required by law. I 3 months ago and have yet to recieve the proper equipment. My bathroom sink has beenout of order for 3 months. I have been constanly giving verbal... show more My landlord is really nice. However, they just don't follow our contractual agreement. My apartment has no fire alarm, or carbon monoxide dector required by law. I 3 months ago and have yet to recieve the proper equipment. My bathroom sink has beenout of order for 3 months. I have been constanly giving verbal reminders and am getting an "okay" with no action following. My oven is broken and he is asking my husband to repair. Last time i checked our only obligation was to pay the rent on time which we do above and beyond. Sometimes we even pay months in advance. I feel like I am being walked on and I will not tolerate it. We work hard for our money to pay to live comfortably. The family lives downstairs from us and his wife does not work. They just sit back and collect money without holding up their end of the agreement. When you decide to rent you property to someone you must have everything up to code. Otherwise you should not rent! I don't understand how that is not understood. I have never been late with rent and I'm so pissed off because he has been ignoring me for days when his car is in the driveway. Can't move right now because I am pregnant and in graduate school + working for the state full-time. Any practical advice would be helpful.
23 answers 23