Is property owner liable or am I for my medical bills since I was in grass and not on sidewalk when i fell?

I fell last month walking out of a bldg. I took a shortcut thru thru grass to get to my car. There was a hole in the ground i didnt see and my foot went in it and twisted. I spent 3 hours in the er, had 2 sets of xrays, have an mri scheduled and dr wants to do surgery to repair torn tendons as a result of the fall.... show more I fell last month walking out of a bldg. I took a shortcut thru thru grass to get to my car. There was a hole in the ground i didnt see and my foot went in it and twisted. I spent 3 hours in the er, had 2 sets of xrays, have an mri scheduled and dr wants to do surgery to repair torn tendons as a result of the fall. Property owner says he has no liability. Is that true? I was in the grass and not on sidewalk but it was still on his property. Thanks for any insignt. This occured in Iowa.