What options are available if a Mother takes away visiting rights from the Father?

My bfs childs mother took visiting rights from him after they gotten into an arguement. Its breaking him down pretty bad. He was told to get a lawyer, but she lived in Springfield, MO and we live in Independence, MO. With they we were told we d have to get a lawyer in Springfield to handle the case. My question is... show more My bfs childs mother took visiting rights from him after they gotten into an arguement. Its breaking him down pretty bad. He was told to get a lawyer, but she lived in Springfield, MO and we live in Independence, MO. With they we were told we d have to get a lawyer in Springfield to handle the case. My question is are there any other options without getting a lawyer, or a way to not make this so costly? We doesn t want to be greedy in anyway- just wanting to be able to spend time with his son. I hoping someone will have some enlightening advice.