Can Facebook suggest me as a friend to someone who only has my number?

I started talking to a guy I met recently online and we exchanged cell phone numbers. I was careful not to share my personal details with him; no pictures, he only knew my first name, and the state I lived in. A few days later he claimed that he had found my facebook profile because I came up as a suggested friend.... show more I started talking to a guy I met recently online and we exchanged cell phone numbers. I was careful not to share my personal details with him; no pictures, he only knew my first name, and the state I lived in. A few days later he claimed that he had found my facebook profile because I came up as a suggested friend.
We have no mutual friends, schools, or groups as he lives across the country from me. I have contact sync off, so nobody in my contacts should be pushed to friend me. I also do not have my mobile number displayed on my profile, and within privacy settings I do not allow my profile to come up on search engines.
I want to know, how likely is it actually that Facebook suggested me to him, or that he went out of his way to find me? I do have instagram and messenger, although not sure if they would be part of the issue. Are there any settings on Facebook that I can use to avoid this in the future?