Do actors take on personal roles?

Is it common for actors to take a role, because it is personal to them, such as they relate to the role. I think actors are sometimes criticized for doing films for the big paycheck, I think It is unfair, it is a job like any other. Some actors have played roles where they can relate to. Anthony Hopkins plays... show more Is it common for actors to take a role, because it is personal to them, such as they relate to the role.

I think actors are sometimes criticized for doing films for the big paycheck, I think It is unfair, it is a job like any other.

Some actors have played roles where they can relate to.

Anthony Hopkins plays Odin (Thor's father) in the Thor movies, apparently it reminds him of his relationship with his own father.

Jack Nicholson played The Joker in Batman (1989) now I heard he was a big fan of the Batman comic books when he was younger and would read and collect them.

Marlon Brando plays a closeted gay man in Reflections In A GoldenEye (1968), now at the time he was a closeted gay man in real life, maybe he saw himself in the role.

In On Golden Pond (1981), it seemed the relationship between the character played by Henry Fonda and Jane Fonda was very similar to their relationship in real life, maybe that is why Jane was so adamant that her and her father Henry Fonda star in the film.

Is it common for an actor to feek a personal connection to a role and is it a strong enough reason for them to take a role? Because I kinda refuse to believe that actors just act for the money, as inflated as it is now, there must have been a time where actors didn't get a massive amount.