Why do so many people talk about "fighting for our freedoms" when so many people nowadays just acknowledge the war-oil connection?

"Fighting for our freedoms?" Not according to the experts who say U.S. interventions are about oil: a. "Iraq possesses huge reserves of oil and gas-reserves I'd love Chevron to have access to." --Kenneth Derr, Chevron CEO, 1998 b. "I am saddened that is it politically inconvenient to... show more "Fighting for our freedoms?" Not according to the experts who say U.S. interventions are about oil:

a. "Iraq possesses huge reserves of oil and gas-reserves I'd love Chevron to have access to." --Kenneth Derr, Chevron CEO, 1998

b. "I am saddened that is it politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil." -- Alan Greenspan, former FED chair

c. "Well, we're in Libya because of oil." -- Congressman Ed Markey

d. "We are not there for figs." -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hegel

e. "Of course it’s about oil, it is very much about oil, and we cannot really deny that." -- General John Abizaid

f. "...the critical oil and natural gas producing region that we fought so many wars to try and protect our economy from the adverse impact of losing that supply or having it available only at very high prices." --John Bolton

I observe that people don't know the difference between freedom versus stuff. Or freedom versus safety. Two very different things.