Should I use my existing savings to pay off my loan, or just continue saving?

I set aside money from each pay check into savings, and currently have enough to pay off the remainder of my auto loan, roughly $18k.

Do you think it'd be wiser to pay off the loan and then start setting aside what I had been paying towards my savings, or hold onto my existing money in case anything came up?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Jenny
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I would not sink my entire savings into paying off a loan. If something comes up, you may end up with a more expensive personal loan or even credit card debt. Using up all your savings can turn into a costly mistake that can take years to recover from.

Since you have been able to save up $18K, start paying extra towards your car loan instead of putting it into savings. Depending on your financial circumstances and living situation (for example if you are in the military, have zero deductibles and copays for medical expenses, and pay nothing for housing), you could consider using $3000-$6000 from your savings to pay down your loan.

• B
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

pay off loan will help your credit score next time you need a loan, so start paying it off, and then start an aggressive saving plan to pay yourself first off every pay day

• 2 years ago

Start paying off your loans and then continue saving after that

• 2 years ago

Always prioritize paying off loans (mortgage being an exception because of the tax benefits.)

If you have multiple loans, pay off the smallest principle first then use that payment to accelerate the paydown on the next loan and so on.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I would keep about $1000 as a minor emergency fund, and pay off as much of the loan as possible with the remainder of your savings. Then pay off the rest as rapidly as possible. Next, use the money you were paying on the loan to build your savings to at least 3 to 6 months expenses.

• 2 years ago

Keep some on the side, but it doesn't hurt to pay down the loan a little. Depends on the interest rate on the loan and the rate of return you could get on the cash...

• Eva
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Don't empty your savings to pay off the loan. You could pay off a portion of the loan. Hopefully you're putting some of that savings into a retirement plan.

• 2 years ago

Pay off the loan unless it's a 0% loan.

• Drone
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

If you paying interest then no point save and paying interest..

• 2 years ago

What is the interest rate on your auto loan ? What does the finance contract say about paying off the loan early, in terms of being relieved of paying interest on the period of time that would no longer be a part of the loan ?

Only someone who could see your specific finance contract could answer you.

• 2 years ago

I think you should rather start paying off your loan because all that pressure you had will slowly start to go away after you start paying little by little.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.