Anonymous

Why does my sister's boyfriend speak to me like i'm a little kid?

Im 19, but he talks to me like I'm a kid! I look 5/6 years younger than I really am, but he knows my real age I'm sure

No one else notices he does it but I have. I don't know why he treats me like a kid!

Like he'll say "you're in trouble" I say why and he says "cos you've been naughty"

He tried to get me a new game console cheap and said to my mum "Well has she been a good girl?"

"Ohhh no you're a little fridge monster naughty girl"

Whenever he says anything to me at all his voice changes, like he's talking to a 5 year old or something, I just don't get it. I'm a little bit childish sometimes but not really bad. Even when he says "hiya" or "see you later" he sounds different to how he would talk to someone else

I sometimes think does he think i'm retarded or something :(

• 1 year ago

There are 3 possible reasons for the way this guy acts, in my opinion.

1. Dude is an asshole and wants to show superiority. He wants to show that not only he is in charge of your sister but also of you. You can confront him in front of your sister and say clearly that that level of disrespect is clearly not ok. If he says something stupid like " Oh the little girl is upset", look him in the eyes and tell him " I'm not a little girl, but you sure are acting like one!". Stand up and walk away. Refuse further contact.

2. Dude is an idiot and thinks that acting like a "big brother" will make you like him as your sister's partner. Talk to him in private and ask him politely to stop.

3. Dude may like you. That is the creepy theory. Here me out. He is with your sister, but you are also a girl, a young girl, a cute girl. Maybe he just likes you and knows this is not right. So if he makes you sound like a little girl (in his mind) nothing will ever happen between you two.

• 1 year ago

Dont mind him. He probbaly drunk and doesnt know how to respect his youngest. Your not alone.

• Alan H
    1 year ago

Just ignore him.

• 1 year ago

My fiancé's family does this. I mean they cannot seem to accept me at all , it is so annoying,

• 1 year ago

If you like it you say nothing just keep your mouth shut and let him carry on

If you don't like it tell him you don't and you want him to stop

If truth be told, I think he does it to be flirty! This might sound dumb but hear me out. His voice changes when he talks to you: because you make him nervous. He sounds a bit shy to me. From what you've said, I get the impression he might fancy you!

The treat you like a kid thing is a ploy. He's not doing it to be condescending. He's not doing it because you look young. He's not doing it because you're childish. He does it because if he doesn't speak to you like you're 5, he will try something no doubt and the flirtyness will be obvious. He likes you pure and simple

I really think you should tell your sister about this and if she doesn't believe you, tell her to watch how he behaves around you (his voice changes around you, things he says, etc.)

1 year ago

tell him to go **** himself....he is a arrogant prick

• 1 year ago

If you start ignoring him and his comments and not engaging with him at all, he'll start to realize how silly he has been. Go about your own life with dignity.

By the way, the way he's been treating you is less about thinking you are a little kid than him flirting with you. And that is why you need to ignore him. He's playing with fire, given that he is dating your sister.

• dj
    1 year ago

He is a jerk and is trying to show off to your sister.

• 1 year ago

SAY "IM AN ADULT"...CONSIDER COLLEGE

1 year ago

That's ******* annoying if you don't like it! I know I wouldn't

I think it cos you look really young he probably looks at your young face and thinks awww so cute! :) so probably doesn't even realise he's doing it

If it really bothers you talk to him about it, but tbh I don't think he realises he does it! If you ask him he might get confused. "I don't do that do I?" Maybe he doesn't realise he doing it