Would this investment idea work?

Say I were to buy several thousand cigarettes, vacuum-seal them so here was no possibility for degradation, then just leave them unopened until the price of cigarettes had increased enough for them to be saleable at a decent profit, after covering the original cost of sealing the cigarettes air-tight and any storage fees (which could be avoided altogether, if I kept the amounts small enough) .....

Would that be legal? I mean, the duty on the cigarettes would already have been paid when they were originally bought. and every year all the tobacconists are offering fags at pre-budget prices for a few weeks, so it must be legally permissible to sell them without paying any extra duty on them.

** EDIT ** For age verification purposes, I plan to insist on payment by credit card only (no debit or pre-paid cards). Anyone too young to buy cigarettes is also too young to borrow money .....

• .

How do you plan on checking every customer to make sure they're over the legal age to buy cigarettes?

You can do it, but once the time reaches sale time for you, you'll need a license to sell them at all. Also, with cigarettes, the taste of them goes to bad about 2 years after sold. Just because it is all sealed up does not mean there is still a rate of decay for taste and more.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you've never wondered why there's a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Might wanna look into that, bunky.