Would this investment idea work?

Say I were to buy several thousand cigarettes, vacuum-seal them so here was no possibility for degradation, then just leave them unopened until the price of cigarettes had increased enough for them to be saleable at a decent profit, after covering the original cost of sealing the cigarettes air-tight and any storage fees (which could be avoided altogether, if I kept the amounts small enough) .....

Would that be legal? I mean, the duty on the cigarettes would already have been paid when they were originally bought. and every year all the tobacconists are offering fags at pre-budget prices for a few weeks, so it must be legally permissible to sell them without paying any extra duty on them.

Update:

** EDIT ** For age verification purposes, I plan to insist on payment by credit card only (no debit or pre-paid cards). Anyone too young to buy cigarettes is also too young to borrow money .....

3 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

How do you plan on checking every customer to make sure they're over the legal age to buy cigarettes?

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

You can do it, but once the time reaches sale time for you, you'll need a license to sell them at all. Also, with cigarettes, the taste of them goes to bad about 2 years after sold. Just because it is all sealed up does not mean there is still a rate of decay for taste and more.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you've never wondered why there's a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Might wanna look into that, bunky.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.