Do you think we’d get more customers to apply for our store credit card if they knew we could get in trouble if they say no?

Update: I work at a TJ Maxx by the way. Just recently, corporate forced new rules on us, saying that we have to get 1 credit card out of every 100 transactions. If we average anything below 1% of our transactions within a 3 month period, we could get a warning, placed under formal counseling after another 3 months, and... show more I work at a TJ Maxx by the way. Just recently, corporate forced new rules on us, saying that we have to get 1 credit card out of every 100 transactions. If we average anything below 1% of our transactions within a 3 month period, we could get a warning, placed under formal counseling after another 3 months, and fired after the next 3 months! And during my shift today, we all struggled to get any cards! About 80% of my customers already had the card, and the other 20% all said no!
Update 2: One girl sounded interested but conveniently left her driver’s license in her car!
Update 3: And some even treat the whole process like a joke. They chuckle and say, “No thank you, but I know you have to ask.” It’s no joke if our jobs are on the line based on your decision!
12 answers 12