Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 years ago

I lost my job and am losing my mind?

I’m 20 years old and have no money in my bank account. I was just fired from my job and can’t pay my rent, can’t afford to eat, and I’m now $3000 in debt. My car will probably be repossessed in the next month. My rent is paid for this month but I put it on a credit card and obviously can’t afford to pay the credit card. I feel depressed too and like I am stuck in a rut. I’ve never been a depressed person until now. So I’ll probably end up homeless until I find another job and no my parents will not help me out. Has anyone else struggled like I have? How do I survive without food and shelter?

• susan

You have a place to stay for tbe moment. So first you need to solve the food problem. Any charitable organization that feeds homeless people will also feed you. Call United Way and ask them where you can go for a free meal today, or tomorrow if too late today. Tell them your situation and ask how they can help you with job placement, and maybe help with rent assistance. It doesn't hurt to ask. United Way is who can connect you to whatever programs in your area fit your situation. In many communities you can reach them by dialing 2-1-1.

I wish better times for you sooner rather than later. I think you will feel better when you have food in your stomach.

Edit: oh, I thought of something else. Consider closing your bank account immediately if you truly have no money in it. If you accidentally get a balance below zero, they will hit you with fees like you will not believe. More than $25 per day in fees, some banks. Don't chance it. Banks are evil to broke people. Close that account.

Call 511 from any phone. It will connect you to your local United way. They have tons of resources for those down on their luck

I can’t believe half the answers some people are just idiots. You need to call 211 which is local assistance. They can help. IN the meantime don’t give up I was in the same situation, I lost my job. I kept applying to jobs even if it was just minimum wage. You can also make a go fund me page. You’ll be surprised how people from all over the world care and have hearts. Gold luck and please update on your situation.

You need to Sell Yourself to get a new job. Even McDonald's is better than starving.

• Joseph

I once landed a new job 12 hours after being laid off. A better job that paid more ( the commute was bit longer ). The lay off was a complete surprise, I did not seeing coming and it pissed me off. So I was very motivated. I called the old job from the new job the next day :). BE MOTIVATED, GO GET THAT BETTER JOB! ( I was wrong, I got laid off at 6am and had the new job by 4pm ~ 10 hours )

• Joseph
      1 year agoReport

LOL two thumbs down LOL Why on earth would someone give me a thumbs down?

you try to find another job as soon as possible and dont lose hope you will definetly get job if you try to get job by searching in newspapers or online.

• Scarlet2 years agoReport

i doubt it. i dont think you know how hard it is to get a new job. stop being so blind.

• B

call the Salvation Army for food, shelter, clothing.

start looking for a job, ask the help of the Salvation Army

• don r

In my town, there's a big sign on front of the main post office that says, "Now Hiring". There may be other civil service jobs with openings. Go downtown to city hall and check your postings. Most require high school diploma or GED at least. In the mean time, hustle...scrounge aluminum cans. There's a little old lady who lady who haunts my neighborhood and I often see her with a garbage bag or two filled with cans early in the morning- that's about $50 worth or more. Good luck.

There are currently more job openings than there are people who are looking for a job. Find one. It's EASY now!

Like the stock market, things go down a lot quicker than they ever recover. You are going through a learning experience

and it's a good one.

By the way, don't you agree we always have the time and money for th things we really want?