How do I know when to charge more for a digital art commission?

So I do digital art commissions and I charge $1.00 per drawing which is really cheap considering what I do for people. This one guy asked for a commission and I finished it and he decided he didn't like it and wants to start over. So I said that's fine I'll just take the money from the last commission and use it for the new one with no extra charge since you weren't satisfied with your commission. So then he asks for 3 more drawings and he still thinks I'm going to do all of those for just $1.00 I want to charge more because it's really unfair to me to go to all this trouble for pretty much nothing. What should I do? Should I charge more or should I just be a slave?

Tell him that the $1 rate is for the first commission. Tell him subsequent commissions are usually $5, but you will cut him a deal of $4 per each additional.

If he becomes more demanding or balks at the price, tell him you’ll refund his money and thank him for his interest.

I’m not sure the purpose of $1 commissions and why you’d tolerate this kind of behavior. If you’re trying to build your book, do volunteer work for a neutral nonprofit charity.

The last one - you should just be a slave. You sound as if you enjoy that sort of thing.

• P

At $1 per drawing you are basically working for free. If you need the experience or a resume builder that's one thing, but I wouldn't do anything like that for less than $50 an hour with a minimum charge of 15 minutes (About $12) . Charge people for however long it takes, but make sure they know that ahead of time. If you can't charge hourly then your pricing should be adjusted so that's what you make an hour. If they want to go elsewhere then so be it.

He's scamming you now. Do not be afraid to fire a customer, decline a gig, or make a profit. Especially the profit.