What do I do if I believe a false police report was filed against me and my wife?

My wife and her sister are in court trying to decide the estate of their deceased parents.The parents home is the issue. My wife s sister s husband was at the parents house and claimed that it had been broken into and that me and my wife were the suspects. He called the cops and an officer came out and filed a... show more My wife and her sister are in court trying to decide the estate of their deceased parents.The parents home is the issue. My wife s sister s husband was at the parents house and claimed that it had been broken into and that me and my wife were the suspects. He called the cops and an officer came out and filed a report of theft of all sorts of items including a motor vehicle. All not true and bogus claims. He doesn t live at this home that he claims was burgularized, and has no legal attachment to it, yet can file a report that "he" was robbed? The report mentions nothing of his wife who is half owner at this point. Why wouldn t the cop ask this idiot if he lived there or had rights to this house? We got a late evening call a week after the report from the cop s supv who told us it appeared that this was a family matter and she changed it to an "informational report." The supv said that had she not stopped this, my wife and I could have been arrested as suspects in this case. HOW in the world is this possible when the report was filed by someone who doesn t even have a legal right to anything in that house? I sometimes believe the world is set up to help and protect the wrongdoers. I know this was long, but is there anyone out there who could comment? We live in NE Florida. Thx to all who take the time to help :)