My two 3 year old cats and in/outside cats, is it bad? (repost)?

i'm reposting this because i didn't clarify where in the world i lived and answerers thought i lived in the USA with guns and coyotes and crap like that, which i DONT, making outside a much safer place as well as i live on a very quiet side-road and i know all my neighbours and there are no loose dogs or... show more i'm reposting this because i didn't clarify where in the world i lived and answerers thought i lived in the USA with guns and coyotes and crap like that, which i DONT, making outside a much safer place as well as i live on a very quiet side-road and i know all my neighbours and there are no loose dogs or people who would poison a cat for shitting in their flower bed or anything (just saying in advance!) i have two 3 year old cats we've owned almost their whole lives, and my mum always says it was cruel to keep them inside because then they'd be sadly looking out at all the mice and birds they used to catch and stuff like that. for 3 years these cats have spent half their days soaking the sun up outside in the bushes in their whole lives, is it too late to move them to permanently be indoors? i don't even know if they still know how to use a litter box, or if we even have one. my parents and my whole family say it's so cruel to not let cats go outside. i must admit, they do spend a lot of time indoors sleeping all day but since they're 3 years old is it cruel to suddenly start not letting them outside, even if we ease them into it? they just love it so much and i can see it just makes them so incredibly happy, and i'd rather they lived a slightly shorter, happy one than a slightly longer boring one. thanks
Update: i just wanna say that in NZ there isn't a single cat in the whole town that is completely indoors. i don't like the abuse i've been getting for letting them outside. i never said i lived in a perfect world, but i did say there are NO GUNS, NO COYOTES, and only ONE dog in the area where i live, and he... show more i just wanna say that in NZ there isn't a single cat in the whole town that is completely indoors. i don't like the abuse i've been getting for letting them outside. i never said i lived in a perfect world, but i did say there are NO GUNS, NO COYOTES, and only ONE dog in the area where i live, and he practically LIVES on their couch. if it wasn't safe then i would never let them go outside. i'm not a bad cat owner, i just don't want them being obese and lazy. i want them to be free and have fun.