Could this be an online romance scam?

I friended a stranger on Facebook thinking it was someone I knew, but I was wrong. So we started talking on Facebook for a while then exchanged phone numbers, then we got closer. I then saw his FB account was deleted (his messages said “identified as abusive or spam”) so we talked via phone/text. He’s been in... show more I friended a stranger on Facebook thinking it was someone I knew, but I was wrong. So we started talking on Facebook for a while then exchanged phone numbers, then we got closer. I then saw his FB account was deleted (his messages said “identified as abusive or spam”) so we talked via phone/text.

He’s been in Malaysia for a month for some project. Right as I get my house sold and move, and when his project was due to end, he asks me for money because his bank account was blocked “for his own safety” and “due to bank regulations “ because while in Malaysia he made an excessive number of transactions, and his bank account was frozen . He said his account won’t be restored until after he gets back to the US and signs documents.

He’s telling me stories about how he is starving and has no money and all that. His project in Malaysia is not over yet and keeps getting extended.

He asks me to send him $1000 by western union , but not to his name, but to someone he says “works in the hotel”. He says I can’t send it to his name because he leaves for work before the western union outlet is open.

I think he’s using sympathy stories, and sending the money to someone else and not to him raises a red flag. But I’m not doing it.