How are you supposed to thoroughly wash your makeup brushes without getting the base of them wet?

I ve tried. I read up about it online and did what the directions stated, but there s no way to wash and rinse the bristles without getting the metal or plastic part that holds the bristles together and keeps them attached to handle without getting that middle piece wet. Am I doing it wrong? If so, please, I urge... show more I ve tried. I read up about it online and did what the directions stated, but there s no way to wash and rinse the bristles without getting the metal or plastic part that holds the bristles together and keeps them attached to handle without getting that middle piece wet.

Am I doing it wrong? If so, please, I urge you, school me!

Also, what s the best thing to use to clean makeup brushes?
Baby shampoo with a couple of drops of essential oil?
A makeup brushes cleaner mitt?

And, what s the deal with(foam) makeup(triangular-shaped) wedges?
Are those not cleanable? If not, what s their purpose? Because, even though they sell them in bulk, and at a nice price point compared to other makeup application tools, that s still equivalent to throwing money down the drain if I m supposed to throw one away every time I use one to apply my cream blush, my foundation or concealer.

Thanks!!