How to defend myself in traffic court? (read details, please).?

I'm going into court tomorrow because I rear-ended a man on my way to school one day. There were no injuries, very minimal damage... It was raining heavily and he stopped very quickly. My tires skid on the wet pavement, resulting in the crash. The officer that responded to the scene afterwards to file a... show more I'm going into court tomorrow because I rear-ended a man on my way to school one day. There were no injuries, very minimal damage...

It was raining heavily and he stopped very quickly. My tires skid on the wet pavement, resulting in the crash.

The officer that responded to the scene afterwards to file a report gave me a ticket for following too closely, resulting in an accident.

He also told me that in Cape Girardeau (Missouri) that-- in any car accident-- one party MUST receive a ticket and appear in court.

I'm pleading not-guilty because of the rain and my skidding tires, and because I wasn't following too closely. Also because I believe it's wrong that one party HAS to get a ticket and plead in court, even without extenuating circumstances being considered.

I'm still incredibly anxious, though, and I'm looking for any helpful tips so I don't panic tomorrow. Please help ASAP!