Am I being miserable for not taking part in materialistic gifts at events?

Hey. I have recently decided to not buy any of my family or friends birthday or Christmas gifts. I think it's a waste of time and it's like forced affection in my opinion. My mum thinks I'm being terrible and very selfish and tight fisted. I have my nephews communion tomorrow and I said I won't be... show more Hey. I have recently decided to not buy any of my family or friends birthday or Christmas gifts. I think it's a waste of time and it's like forced affection in my opinion. My mum thinks I'm being terrible and very selfish and tight fisted. I have my nephews communion tomorrow and I said I won't be getting a gift for him as long as I'm there in person that's the main thing. My mums saying "you're actually terrible, people will think you're stuck up and selfish and mean" I don't mean to be , I just don't wanna take part in the typical tradition of getting gifts. I'm not against gift giving at all. Like why can't I spoil somebody on like 25th july lol I'm showing my love when I want and not forced by pagan holiday or tradition or religion. My mum says she's ashamed of me because its a worldwide tradition to buy people gifts at events or a celebration. I don't wanna be conformed to this though and do it my own way and my own time. If I get you a gift its gonna be when I want to treat you, not when It's expected or forced to because it's your birthday or Christmas or valentines day etc. I seriously don't think I'm a bad person for this its just my choice to not take part in materialistic gift giving part. I still celebrate the event but I just don't buy cards or presents.