Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 years ago

why do people in English when they are talking about America they refer to the US how do you say?

I am a Spanish speaker and I learned that America is a continent not a country

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

The official name of the country being United States of America, it's common to hear people using only "America."

• 2 years ago

Actually, America is two continents. But yeah, i understand you. I lived in Europe and people would ask if I was an American. I said yes, I am, but I'm from the United States of America, there is no country with the actual name "America".

• 2 years ago

In English, America is the country otherwise known as the USA. E.g., I live in Canada which is NOT in America. It is in the continent of North America, but, the word America on it's own refers to that one country.

Apparently, things are different in Spanish, but, this is how it works in English. America is in North America, with a bunch of other countries like Canada, and Mexico.

• poldi2
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

North America is a continent.

America is the short form for the United States of America. The US is also a short form.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

There's no other country in North America with "America" in its name but the U.S.- "United States of America". If you don't want to call it "America" then call it "the United States".

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

You are COMPLETELY right with that, and Canada has voiced before how they do not like being lumped in with the USA on any of it too.

• Brisco2 years agoReport

Canada is not lumped in with the USA. Saying "America" by definition means the US. "America" is not a continent.

• 2 years ago

America is, in fact, a continent but in English, we tend to refer to the United States of America as America

• Brisco2 years agoReport

There is no continent called "America".

• 2 years ago

Just a shortened version of United States of America. You shortened it to the name to 'US'. Some shorten it to 'the States'. And as you point out , some refer to it as 'America" . Some even say ' 'Merica'

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

It's just an unofficial term for the US. If you're being really pedantic America isn't even one continent, north, south, and then even Greenland is part of the north but any local there would hate you saying that.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

same as if your from jamaica your from the carribean .. it doesnt matter really ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.