Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 2 years ago

Can I sue my dentist?

I went to the dentist to get 4 fillings for cavities in the back of my mouth about 8 months ago. After the filling, I noticed my teeth were sensitive and I couldn’t eat for a few days, so I went back and they drilled into my teeth even more. After a few weeks, nothing changed so I went back and they did the same procedure for the third time. Hoping a different dentist could fix it, I tried for a fourth time and my teeth hurt even more. I thought to just give it some time but nothing hasn’t changed, and I can longer eat certain fruits, meats, crackers, etc. What do I do from this point? Do I get my teeth replaced and sue?

• To sue a dentist, you have to prove malpractice. Your dentists will all be members of a body which has malpractice insurance and the insurance company has some pretty impressive lawyers to make sure they don't have to pay out too often. So unless you're prepared to gamble a load of money on getting your own lawyer, don't bother. The law is a rich man's game and the winner takes all, so don't expect them to play by your rules.

No. That's a common thing that happens. Sensitivity after fillings.

Over time, it usually becomes less sensitive, but since they kept

drilling, probably didn't have time to heal up. What I don't understand

is why they kept drilling when it was already finished. More drilling

wouldn't take away sensitivity, and they should have gotten all the

cavity the first time. I'm sorry, you can't sue. Your case will be laughed

out of court.

For many people going to the dentist is a very scary experience and plucking up the courage to get into the dentist’s chair often takes a lot of trust in your dentist.

But what happens in the unfortunate circumstance that your fears come true and your dentist makes a mistake?

The answer is that you may have a legal claim that entitles you to compensation.

Most people often think that medical negligence just refers to the circumstance where a doctor makes a mistake treating a patient during surgery. But the term medical negligence is much broader than this and includes treatment provided by a dentist.

Just like doctors, dentists owe a duty of care to all their patients. They must ensure that not only is the treatment being suggested appropriate but also that the treatment or procedure is performed with appropriate care and skill.

https://thepainreliefpractice.com/knee-pain/

Unfortunately, dental negligence claims are becoming increasingly more common and what we are seeing is that a simple dental mistake can have very significant consequences for the patient involved.

you don't "get your teeth replaced" just because they are sensitive from fillings, and it is common to have your bite be off or sensitivity with those white composite fillings and no there is no lawyer who is going to take a case over this since it is not malpractice

• Mike G

Knock yourself out.

You can,but you won't win. there is never any guarantee of results with any medical procedure.

You could have the problem teeth pulled altogether and get partials, that will fix it.