What animal has the BEST sense of smell?

Please do not include any aquatic smelling animals, because smelling in the water is fundamentally different than smelling in the air. If you Google this question, they almost always list the Bear, and the Bloodhound at the top of the list, however, I think they are forgetting about an important contender. I saw... show more Please do not include any aquatic smelling animals, because smelling in the water is fundamentally different than smelling in the air.

If you Google this question, they almost always list the Bear, and the Bloodhound at the top of the list, however, I think they are forgetting about an important contender.

I saw a National Geographic special about a Russian hybrid Jackal-Dog called the "Sulimov Dog." This dog is three-quarters dog, and one-quarter Jackal. According to the documentary... this dog is said to be the best sniffer dog in the world. They were basically saying that the bloodhound's sense of smell is a joke compared this hybrid.

In the documentary, the man that created this hybrid was saying that the incredible sense of smell of this hybrid was completely because of the Jackal, and that the only reason for mixing it with a dog, is because of train-ability. He also stated that he would like to increase the percentage of Jackal in the mix of future generation, while maintaining the obedience and train-ability of a dog.

He stated that in the wild... NO ONE is ever able to sneak up on a Jackal, because they can smell humans from such a great distance, that they are never in the same place at the same time. Whereas hunters have been able to sneak up on bears with a greater comparability of ease. However, this could also be due to bears simply not being as fearful of humans as jackals!

Does anybody know where a jackal's sense of smell would compare?