Why isn't my Xbox 360 controller working with windows 10?

I'm trying to setup my old wireless Xbox 360 controller with my windows 10 gaming pc and I purchased a cable from Amazon that connects to the top of the controller and charges the battery at the same time. I plug the cable in and windows 10 immediately detects that its a generic Xbox 360 USB controller but... show more I'm trying to setup my old wireless Xbox 360 controller with my windows 10 gaming pc and I purchased a cable from Amazon that connects to the top of the controller and charges the battery at the same time.

I plug the cable in and windows 10 immediately detects that its a generic Xbox 360 USB controller but none of my games work with it even though they have support for Xbox 360 controllers and steam won't detect it.
what am I doing wrong? I've googled the issue and looked all over the place and even asked friends who know this kind of stuff and they can't even explain it.

if it helps, its an old Xbox 360 controllers from early 2006 and the cable I purchased is a generic cable that cost £10.