Why do some people with little education like to put those who have an education down?

This came up the other day when I was conversing with some friends. A friend of a friend of mine started to tell me I spell like I am a teenager. However, this was just on an instant messaging service. He then proceeded to ask me if I even graduated high school. I proudly told him that I am graduating from... show more This came up the other day when I was conversing with some friends. A friend of a friend of mine started to tell me I spell like I am a teenager. However, this was just on an instant messaging service. He then proceeded to ask me if I even graduated high school. I proudly told him that I am graduating from University this year with a BA in Psychology. He then proceeded to tell me that it's pathetic for me to be 24 years old and still in college. He also kept insisting that a Psychology degree is worthless, despite me telling him I plan on going to grad school. I found out that this guy never went to college as well. So why does this happen on occasion? Yes, I do know it occurs the other way around, but I am focusing on this case. However, I imagine this would apply to both scenarios.