Is my best friend actually depressed or no?

They have been my bestie for years but recently acted off for a few months then they said I'm sorry I can't hang out as much with you because I feel like you know me too well and makes it harder for me... I asked if they're depressed they said I'm pretty sure I'm depressed I'm overwhelmed... show more They have been my bestie for years but recently acted off for a few months then they said I'm sorry I can't hang out as much with you because I feel like you know me too well and makes it harder for me...

I asked if they're depressed they said I'm pretty sure I'm depressed I'm overwhelmed my head is a mess I feel like a nutcase in my brain I can't explain my thoughts some days are worse some are okay

Then I saw them recently they posted a photo of themselves smiling with friends and i thought what a liar she's not depressed I go to her and she said that was a good day but when she's alone and not distracted she feels so miserable she cries in bed alone

So how can she be depresssed