Am I overreacting about my roommate?

I'm a junior in college right now living with a roommate that I didn't have any choice but to live with. Originally, I assumed we would have a lot in common based on what we talked about via social media DM's during the summer prior to moving in. She's not rude or mean to me in any way, and honestly... show more I'm a junior in college right now living with a roommate that I didn't have any choice but to live with. Originally, I assumed we would have a lot in common based on what we talked about via social media DM's during the summer prior to moving in. She's not rude or mean to me in any way, and honestly we "get along" on a social level just fine (we hardly talk). However, we live totally opposite lives. I go to bed at around 11:30pm-1:00am depending on how much homework I have to finish, and also because I start class at 9:15 daily. She, on the other hand, would keep the lights on all night if I didn't take the initiative to get up and turn them off (she at this point would have been laying in bed on her laptop for hours, so she's not doing homework I can guarantee). She mysteriously goes out at like midnight during the week sometimes, which is whatever because it's not my life, but it's very weird. When she returns at 2-3 in the morning, she slams her dresser drawers/the door, & generally makes a lot of noise (I've purchased earplugs for this reason). She also sleeps until literally 1:00pm almost every single day, will keep our lights off in the room all day long, and goes to class maybe 2X every other week. It's super annoying that I have to sit in a dark room all day because she's sleeping. Yes, I can (and do frequently) leave to go do work somewhere else, but it's also my right to be able to relax in my room during the day with the lights on. What do I do?
7 answers 7