Why does a narcissist act one way when around you then the next it's like he doesn't know you again ?

I was no contact with my ex, had cut all ties with him until we could get to court. We share a child so that's the only reason I would ever communicate if I had to. His mom bought him over to see our son, Understand that i can feel him i know him very well, his insecurities, hes very predictable, i read his... show more I was no contact with my ex, had cut all ties with him until we could get to court. We share a child so that's the only reason I would ever communicate if I had to. His mom bought him over to see our son, Understand that i can feel him i know him very well, his insecurities, hes very predictable, i read his emotions well....I could clearly see he was hurting about how he lost his family, he even hugged me tight like I'm missing you so much but I don't know how to express it so I'm just going to run away again. Which is what he did, he told me he was going to start texting me again regarding our child & As soon as the next day came he was no where to be found ? The only way I pulled some conversation out of him was letting him know I really needed this document so I could put our child in Daycare but I had to ask him to work with me. We ended up conversing for awhile he said he misses us and loves us but, I told him to move on with his life so he did. But it's like I believe him but his actions completely contradict what he's saying... It's like talking to a whole nother person that Idk again. When in my face he's his normal self but once he gets away from me he's like the guy that's moved on has a new girlfriend could careless that we have a child. Does he do this to gain information ? What is the purpose of this behavior ? I want to know son I can stop falling for it