My boyfriend became abusive?

We're in our early 20s. We live together and after about 6 months of being together his angry side came out. I'm able to handle someones anger issues. Calming him down wasn't too difficult but he began being abusive about it. Calling me all sorts of names, threatening me, degrading me. There are some... show more We're in our early 20s. We live together and after about 6 months of being together his angry side came out. I'm able to handle someones anger issues. Calming him down wasn't too difficult but he began being abusive about it. Calling me all sorts of names, threatening me, degrading me. There are some issues that he has with me, and he communicated that with me and I promised him that I will work on it but he hasn't really given me any time. I have some issues with being verbally affectionate (personal issue) and it's something that got to him. So bit by bit I try to improve that but that's really difficult to do when I get called a slob for not having his favourite t-shirt washed. It's just gone to the point where anything can set him off and when I adress it he says that i need to work on the damage that I created first. Well his abuse made me depressed and I told him that and he's stubborn on the fact that I need to fix my self before he can do anything about his behaviour. Apart from this issue he is the perfect person for me. We've been planing an engagement and I have no doubts about his commitment, he's very good to me and very caring. That's why I don't want to let him go but at the same time I'm hitting a different kind of low and he thinks it's self caused. I don't know how else to communicate it with him to make him realise this. Is it even possible? I'm willing to be patient and to my part but I need some kind of reassurance that this is even possible to fix.
58 answers 58