Why are backorders allowed to happen when shopping online?

It seems like it would be pretty easy for a shopping site to catalogue their items for sale based on their inventory. If there’s only ten of a particular product then when the tenth is sold stop selling the item, or at least make it clear it is out of stock. Maybe then offer the option of preorder. But for me(the... show more It seems like it would be pretty easy for a shopping site to catalogue their items for sale based on their inventory. If there’s only ten of a particular product then when the tenth is sold stop selling the item, or at least make it clear it is out of stock. Maybe then offer the option of preorder.

But for me(the customer) to “purchase” an item and then find out the next day that it’s been back ordered is absurd. Businesses shouldn’t be allowed to sell things they don’t have.