Was my mother being inappropriate?

We just had lunch at a restaurant and during the middle of lunch, just out of the blue, my mother starts talking about how she went to a tarot card reader and the person pulled out the death card and said someone was going to die. I told my mother that the death card doesn’t necessarily mean literal death and she... show more We just had lunch at a restaurant and during the middle of lunch, just out of the blue, my mother starts talking about how she went to a tarot card reader and the person pulled out the death card and said someone was going to die. I told my mother that the death card doesn’t necessarily mean literal death and she said “yes, yes it does...it means someone’s going to die, but it could be a pet.”

I got upset and started to cry because it was completely inappropriate conversation for the middle of a restaurant, first of all. And second of all, I don’t want to hear about this Tarot card mumbo-jumbo about how someone’s going to die.

My boyfriend told me I was being dramatic and needed to be quiet and my mother started cutting eyes at me and giving me dirty looks as if I had done something wrong. The only person at the table who seemed to agree that it was completely inappropriate conversation was my father.

Was my mother being inappropriate? did I not have the right to get upset? My mother and my boyfriend are always acting like I have no right to feel any kind of emotion.