Does what you eat effect your baby whilst breastfeeding?

I want to breast feed my baby so my baby is healthy as possible also I am aware that it’s good for mothers as well. However I’ve been hearing story’s which do slightly put me off. For instance you can’t drink alcohol which to be honest I wouldn’t be doing with a newborn child anyway! So that is not a problem but... show more I want to breast feed my baby so my baby is healthy as possible also I am aware that it’s good for mothers as well. However I’ve been hearing story’s which do slightly put me off. For instance you can’t drink alcohol which to be honest I wouldn’t be doing with a newborn child anyway! So that is not a problem but I’ve heard you can’t drink a lot of caffeine and eat certain foods just like when you are pregnant. If I’m going to be honest since I’ve been pregnant I haven’t really been eating healthy and I do every now again drink a coke or Dr Pepper how ever I can say it is in moderation. But after 9 months of not being able to drink energy drinks and certain foods it’s a bit of putting that after birth you still have to watch what you eat this may sound selfish I don’t know? How does what you eat effect your baby when breast feeding can someone explain to me please because if this is the case I guess I’ll have to still lay off the caffeine and sugary foods.
7 answers 7