Basement flooding is affecting my gas furnace and water heater. I am uninsured and don't have funds for a legitimate repairman. Any advice?

Our house got hit by the Midwestern flooding going around lately, and yesterday morning we noticed our showers were cooler than normal, and hours later realized our temperature dropped. Looking into the basement there was about 18 inches of water. Waded in after checking for current and heard an angry sound from... show more Our house got hit by the Midwestern flooding going around lately, and yesterday morning we noticed our showers were cooler than normal, and hours later realized our temperature dropped. Looking into the basement there was about 18 inches of water. Waded in after checking for current and heard an angry sound from the furnace so I shut off the breaker for it. We got a sump pump in to take care of the water but I don't know where to go from here. I've shut off gas to the water heater and don't smell any coming from the furnace. Some amount of water definitely got into the furnace as it wasn't sealed but nothing feels damp except the blower I can barely feel behind the wires and such involved.

I've been using a hair dryer to attempt to dry everything off even better, but now I don't know what else to do to prepare. I don't want to try to turn things back on and cause even more damage. I inherited this house from my father who didn't perform maintenance. I just started a new factory job this Tuesday and my bills are already piled up. I have no insurance and probably can't afford a repair guy, but I'm rather intelligent (if not wise, obviously) and I'm semi-confident I could perform dummy repairs.

Help me, Yahoo! Answers. You're my only hope. God bless.