Where does a writer, who wants to make a living from their work, start this journey?

If you have traveled this road and have any solid advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I get on the web to try and find a legitimate place to start and get completely overwhelmed. I write songs, poetry, children's stories and spoof material. I would like to pursue a career in this field. Please share... show more If you have traveled this road and have any solid advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I get on the web to try and find a legitimate place to start and get completely overwhelmed. I write songs, poetry, children's stories and spoof material. I would like to pursue a career in this field. Please share your experience and thoughts on how I should go about making money from my works. Thank you! :-)