Was this ignorant?

My wife's friend called with washer problems and asked if we knew someone who could repair it. I had a little personal experience and offered to go over and look at it for free. The washer was contained in a small closet-sized room in the basement with a trash bin beside it. It was so small that I had to... show more My wife's friend called with washer problems and asked if we knew someone who could repair it. I had a little personal experience and offered to go over and look at it for free. The washer was contained in a small closet-sized room in the basement with a trash bin beside it. It was so small that I had to lean against it to work on the washer. Upon entering the room I got a really putrid smell that I started gagging. The trash bin was full of dirty diapers.

I tried to work through the smell and my wife's friend said "sorry about the smell, but u have kids so I figured u are used to it". I didn't complain and concealed my gagging for the sake of not creating a rift between my wife and her friend. I spent over an hour in the room and not once did she attempt/offer to move the bin out.

I went home after and told my wife (as politely as possible) not to ask me to go over there to help anymore and explained why.

She was offended
18 answers 18