Getting weight off an old dog?

So I have a thirteen year old lurcher and her previous owner fed her boiled chicken and dog biscuits, I found out why when I moved her onto tinned dog food in order to get her to lose weight. She has thrown up every one I've tried, even ones the vet recommended for over weight dogs. My vet said it was fine to... show more So I have a thirteen year old lurcher and her previous owner fed her boiled chicken and dog biscuits, I found out why when I moved her onto tinned dog food in order to get her to lose weight. She has thrown up every one I've tried, even ones the vet recommended for over weight dogs.

My vet said it was fine to feed her boneless, skinned chicken or white fish in small amounts and to just up her exercise. She only gained weight because her owner had a stroke and couldn't walk her. But I'm still a bit concerned because of her age and too much walking. In the summer I'll take her swimming as that will help get the weight off and support her at the same time.

Short ten minutes walks the vet suggested but so far she has lost nothing. The vet could find no health concerns that might be a reason for no weight loss.
Any one got any advice?