Why is it good grammar to use hanged when referring to people and hung when referring to objects?

Where in a dictionary does it say hung is refered to objects and hanged is refered to people? All it says is that hung is a past tense and past participle of hang and that doesn't tell you whether hung is refered to objects or hanged is refered to people, and when I looked up the word hang it says in... show more Where in a dictionary does it say hung is refered to objects and hanged is refered to people? All it says is that hung is a past tense and past participle of hang and that doesn't tell you whether hung is refered to objects or hanged is refered to people, and when I looked up the word hang it says in parentheses that hanged and hung are preterit tenses and past tenses of hang, so according to these definitions I can use either for people and objects.