Why does America not make it illegal to posses firearms?

I’m from England so obviously no one can legally own a gun here, in the past 10 years there has been 4 massacres in England only one of which was a shooting. In America there has been over 50 shootings specifically in schools in the past 3 years.... god knows what the number is overall for general shootings. Is it... show more I’m from England so obviously no one can legally own a gun here, in the past 10 years there has been 4 massacres in England only one of which was a shooting. In America there has been over 50 shootings specifically in schools in the past 3 years.... god knows what the number is overall for general shootings. Is it not just common sense to make firearms illegal. They literally bring no good whatsoever.

I guess ‘protection’ is the main reason why people want to own a gun, even though there’s multiple other ways of protecting yourself. Such as tasers, pepper spray, anything hard, getting off your *** and learning self defence, being generally fit enough to fight...