Do people with houses experience mice issues at some point in time?

Update: They can get into the tiniest opening. I live near a river, so there seem to be more mice in this area than in any other area I've lived.
Update 2: I never take food outdoors (don't have a BBQ grill). I don't keep any food on my countertops or in the basement. All dishes, utensils, pots/pans get washed every night. I've only seen evidence of mice here during the cold Winter in the basement and in the bottom kitchen cabinets----except for 2x that I... show more I never take food outdoors (don't have a BBQ grill). I don't keep any food on my countertops or in the basement. All dishes, utensils, pots/pans get washed every night. I've only seen evidence of mice here during the cold Winter in the basement and in the bottom kitchen cabinets----except for 2x that I found a mouse in my living room where there's no food. I think they were attracted to my garbage container under the kitchen sink. I need to call an exterminator & get any openings sealed. THANKS